I played with 2 options:
TrueCrypt and FreeOTFE
TrueCrypt has a Windows and Linux GUI making it pretty easy to use cross platform. It also do some pretty cool encryption of the boot drive to secure the whole computer, but I haven’t messed with that yet.
FreeOTFE has cool because it has a WIndows GUI and can automount under linux if you encrypt a whole partition as opposed to a volume (file) stored on a partition. I really wanted to go with FreeOTFE for the automounting, but ran into a deal breaker issue. Windows can only mount a single partition from a USB drive, so I couldn’t have a small partition to run FreeOTFE from (so it was portable to any Windows computer) and have a 2nd large encrypted partition for the data.
Configuring FreeOTFE and Linux see http://emcken.dk/weblog/archives/164-encrypted-usb-drive-in-ubuntu.html. My notes just in case the above link ever goes away:
sudo apt-get install cryptsetup
sudo modprobe dm-crypt ## If you haven’t rebooted
sudo cryptsetup –verbose –verify-passphrase luksFormat /dev/sdb5
sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdb5 sdb5
# Based on fat32 or ntfs
sudo mkfs.vfat /dev/mapper/sdb5 -n “tpearsall”
sudo mkntfs -f /dev/mapper/sdb5
sudo cryptsetup luksClose sdb5
You need to spoof the user-agent to get the source with wget
|wget –user-agent='Mozilla/4.0' http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/sdlmame0118.zip
Command I keep forgetting: sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc
Most of this is pulled from http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/
|yum install lirc-kmdl-$KVER
yum install lirc
Check if eveything is there:
|$ rpm -qa | grep lirc
|## TSP For Serial Port 1
alias char-major-61 lirc_serial
options lirc_serial irq=4 io=0x3f8
install lirc_serial /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none ; /sbin/modprobe –ignore-install lirc_serial
Put lircd files in place:
Set lircd.conf as needed
Put .lircrc in the user home
ln ~/.mythtv link lircrc to ../.lircrc[/code]
These are the steps that I followed to get my remote to work.
1. Copy the lircd.conf file to /etc/lircd.conf.
2. Load in the lirc modules and start lircd.
3. Decide which button to assign on the remote for MythTV. I use PVR (as this is a remote meant for PVR's). It is assumed that you are using PVR, please substitute your button where necessary.
4. Whichever button you pick, if it's not VCR, then you need to make it a VCR button. Following the procedure in the user manual, map a VCR type to your selected button:
a) Press and hold the SET button until the LED blinks twice, then release SET.
b) Enter 992. The LED will blink twice.
c) Press VCR once, then press PVR once. The LED will blink twice.
5. The Hauppauge PVR-250 IR receiver will only accept RC-5 codes. The URC-6131 can output RC-5 codes, if it is set to emulate a remote control that outputs RC-5 codes. RC-5 codes are typically used by Phillips, Marantz and Magnavox. A code that makes most of the buttons on the remote available is 0081. To set your PVR button to use 0081, do this:
a) Press the PVR button to select it.
b) Press and hold the SET button until the LED blinks twice and then release SET.
b) Enter 0081. The LED should blink twice, acknowledging the programming.
6. Before going any further, verify that the IR receiver on the PVR-250 is receiving the RC-5 codes.
a) Start irw, the LIRC testing tool. Usually the command "irw" works, however, you may need to specify a path to it.
b) Start pressing buttons on the remote control. Some buttons will not be recognized, but at least the number keys, the directional arrows and SELECT should work.
7. At this point, there are several keys that we want to program to send RC-5 codes, so that they can be used by LIRC/MythTV. The One For All remote controls are excellent for programming, and although the manual doesn't document it, it is possible to program what are called "advanced codes". This method will allow you to program the non-working buttons to send out RC-5 codes. Here's how to program individual buttons:
a) Press and hold the SET button until the LED blinks twice, and then release SET.
b) Press 994, and then tap the SET key. The LED should blink once.
c) Enter one of the three-digit codes below, and then press the key that corresponds to that three-digit code.
147 Replay (Backwards curved arrow)
178 Skip (Arrow pointing right with vertical line)
111 Next Chapter
143 Previous Chapter
047 Slow motion (vertical bar with arrow)
224 Thumbs Up
192 Thumbs Down
240 PVR Menu
amixer set Master 100% unmute
amixer set PCM 100% unmute
sudo ionice -c3 mythnettv –nocommflag importlocal The.Office.S05E19.avi The.Office The.Office.S05E19 The.Office.Season.2
sudo ionice -c3 mythnettv –nocommflag importmanylocal ./ ".*.avi" "Fifth.Gear"
sudo ionice -c3 tsp/mythnettv/mythnettv –nocommflag importlocal "Curb Your Enthusiasm – 3×02 – The Benadryl Brownie.avi" "Curb Your Enthusiasm" "The Benadryl Brownie" "S03E07"